The Duchess of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers for the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline publishing a letter she wrote to her father, which she claims breached her privacy and copyright. It comes as many believe the Duke and Duchess of Sussex sanctioned a book coming out about them entitled ‘Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Family’, although Harry and Meghan have denied any direct contribution. A spokesperson for the couple said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to ‘Finding Freedom’.
“This book is based on the authors’ own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting.”
However, at the very least, several people within the Sussexes’ inner circle spoke to authors Carolyn Durand and Omid Scobie.
Some have argued Meghan suing a newspaper for breach of privacy while her friends spill all her secrets to other journalists is ironic.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have stepped down as senior royals
Omid Scobie co-authored the new book ‘Finding Freedom’
The book’s description reads: “With unique access and written with the participation of those closest to the couple, Finding Freedom is an honest, up-close, and disarming portrait of a confident, influential and forward-thinking couple who are unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight, and dedicated to building a humanitarian legacy that will make a profound difference in the world.”
Culture writer Maureen Callahan argued in the New York Post that Meghan is trying to have it “both ways” ‒ sue for intrusion into privacy, yet indirectly sanctioning a book that gives unique insights into their time as royals.
She added that, had privacy really been what they wanted, lockdown would have been a perfect opportunity to slip into obscurity.
Instead, both Meghan and Harry kept doing multiple videos from Tyler Perry’s mansion in Beverly Hills to try and stay relevant.
Meghan and Harry have done multiple videos from their current home in Beverly Hills
She wrote: “Meghan can’t have it both ways. She can’t sue for intrusion of privacy while doing everything she can to stay in the spotlight.
“And if she really wanted to retreat, no better time ‒ we’re all under lockdown, preoccupied with our own pressing real-world issues.”
However this is not the only apparent double-standard that has come to light as a result of the much-anticipated new book.
The book claims that Meghan used to set up paparazzi shots of herself when she was an actress in the TV legal drama Suits, in order to raise her profile.
Princess Anne’s ONE golden rule at royal events [REVEALED]
Zara Tindall’s astonishing comments about Princess Anne: ‘Annoying!’ [QUOTE]
Prince William’s ‘huge relief’ revealed after nail-biting few weeks [INSIGHT]
Thomas Markle on ITV’s Good Morning Britain
She allegedly told photographers where she would be so they could get pictures and “let info slip out to the press”.
However, after Meghan’s father Thomas Markle posed for paparazzi photographs before her royal wedding in 2018, he claimed she “ghosted” him.
Mr Markle admitted he staged photographs of him running up a hill lifting weights, getting measured for a wedding suit and reading a book entitled ‘Images of Britain’ in a coffee shop.
Mr Markle believes it was these pictures, along with various media interviews, that created a rift between father and daughter that ended up with her cutting him out of her life completely.
He admitted it was “a stupid mistake” but insisted Meghan ignoring him is “a punishment which does not fit the crime”.
Meghan’s father told ITV’s Good Morning Britain: “I realised it was a mistake but it was hard to take it back.
“I had been seen as a negative for an entire year and I wanted to improve my look.”
In this way, Meghan’s father believes his paparazzi shots drove a wedge between him and his daughter, while new revelations claim she in fact did the same thing a few years ago.
Mr Markle was unable to attend the wedding due to suffering a heart attack just days before the big day but, heartbreakingly, he has not seen Meghan since.
He claimed he texted Meghan every day after the wedding and got no response.
Mr Markle told the Daily Mail in 2018: “I apologised to Harry on the phone and all he said was, ‘If you’d listened to me, none of this would have happened.
“I did a few things wrong, and said a few things I should not have said. But some of the royals have done far worse things.
“There are convicts in prisons who have murdered and committed all kinds of horrible crimes, and their daughters still visit them.”